Honey is a humectant which means it tends to absorb moisture. It is used for keeping baked goods fresher longer and it can be added to creams and lotions to keep our skin soft.
Place a fine-mesh sieve over a medium bowl; set aside. In a sauce pan over medium heat, mix together milk, cinnamon, ginger, cardamom, salt, vanilla bean paste, honey and tea bags. Bring to gentle boil. Once the milk becomes a beige color, turn off heat and pour mixture through the sieve into the bowl and let cool. Once mixture is cool, pour into a sauce pot and whisk in corn starch, taking care to dissolve corn starch completely. Whisk in egg yolks one at a time. Whisking constantly, cook over medium heat until the mixture begins to thicken slightly. Reduce heat to low, still whisking, cook for 1 minute. Remove from heat. Stir in butter and white rum. Serve warm divided into 4 portions or chill for at least 3 hours. Before serving, whisk pudding until smooth.
Zest of 2 lemons = 1 ½ tablespoons
¼ cup peeled, sliced ginger or ½ teaspoon ground ginger
1 cup water
1 cup honey
1/2 cup lemon juice
In a small saucepan, add lemon zest, sliced ginger and 1 cup of water. Bring mixture to a boil, simmer for 5 minutes and then strain into a heat-proof measuring cup. Rinse the saucepan out and pour in 1 cup of honey. On low heat, warm the honey, but do not allow it to boil. Add the strained lemon/ginger water and the lemon juice. Stir the mixture until it forms a thick syrup. Pour into a clean jar and seal with a lid.
Note: This can be refrigerated for up to 2 months.
• For children* ages, 1 to 5, use ½ -1 teaspoon every 2 hours
• For children* ages, 5 to 12, use 1-2 teaspoon every 2 hours
• For children* 12 and older and adults use 1 to 2 tablespoons every 4 hours
You can also add Nurse Barb’s Honey Cough Syrup to the following to help your child* stay hydrated and suppress their cough.
• Add 1 tablespoon to 4 ounces of water and pour in a Sippy cup
• Mix 1 to 2 teaspoons of Nurse Barb’s Honey Cough Syrup over sliced bananas.
• Add 1 tablespoon to ¼ cup of cream cheese and use as a spread for bread, bagels or toast.
• Add 1 to 2 tablespoons to chamomile tea to help with sleep